ISO 45001:2018 standard replaces OHSAS 18001 and is the first true international management standard for Occupational Heath & Safety. The standard fits into the new suite of ISO Management Standards based upon Annex SL and integrates with ISO9001:2015 (Quality) and ISO14001:2015 (Environment) providing you with a single set of requirements, consistent through all disciplines and improves management system efficiency.
The Occupational Health & Safety standard will help your organisation to:
- Promote active H&S leadership and communication
- Identify hazards and minimise risks, implement safe systems of work
- Investigate incidents (e.g. near misses and accidents)
- Reduce incident frequency and severity through audits, incident investigation and monitoring
- Improve employee attendance and moral through improved welfare creating a safer environment.
- Enhance safety culture, improve worker consultation and participation
- Demonstrate H&S legal compliance
H&S Benefits of certification will include:
- Consistent, safe repeatable processes
- Ensuring all employees go home safely to their families,
- Improved operational efficiency, enhanced staff engagement
- Good loyal trained workforce, reduces footfall and retains competence
- Achieve operational excellence and continual improvement
- Meets the requirements of many procurement standards e.g. SSIP (Safe Systems in Procurement): Alcumus, Safe Contractor, CHAS.
Many or our customers tell us that to even submit a tender for new work, they now need to demonstrate compliance with ISO 45001/SSIP.
The framework of ISO45001 allows us to complete a gap analysis against your existing system and then support you with opportunities to improve and achieve ISO 45001 certification from operators to executives.
Our key Mayer consultant/auditor will meet with you and plan a scope of works: gap analysis, awareness training to operators, management and executive as appropriate to your organisation. We understand everyone has different timescales for certification which provides a focus.
We can undertake an assessment of the Risk and Opportunities facing your organisation and the Objective and Targets program to deal with them, this provides a baseline which also demonstrates your continual improvement
Many clients are surprised how much they already have in place. ISO 45001 certification should be achieved through good business practise and follows the synergies of the Health & Safety at Work Act etc. 1974 not by creating systems just for ISO.
The gap analysis report outlines the steps required to achieve your certification. We are here to help through the process of meeting the ISO 45001 identified requirements, from conducting internal audits, facilitating management review and supporting you through your Stage 1 and 2 assessments with your chosen certification body.
Once ready we will visit again to establish if your management systems and processes meet the requirements of the standard through audit. This audit will be planned, conducted and closed in exactly the same way your certification body will undertake their audit. This is a great practise. There are no surprises and findings and recommendations will be communicated throughout the audit, in summary at the closing meeting and in a detailed audit report.
The effectiveness of ISO 45001 is driven by its requirement for continual improvement, so we stay in touch and arrange internal audits with you through the year, we are also happy to help train your own staff to take on this role. These audits are an ISO requirement and require regular assessments to keep your certification up-to-date.